Dolly's never really been on my radar. I mean, I know who she is obviously, but I've never paid attention to her music (I know that on the off-chance someone reads this, they might just think that's a sin, but I'm ok with that!).
But doing some research for an assembly on "Faith" I stumbled upon Dolly Parton's collaboration with Galantis:
I'll post the video of the whole assembly on the "Assembly Resources" page once the school have had it, but essentially my thoughts are:
1. Faith is the ability to live with not knowing and uncertainty, and the willingness to be surprised by things beyond what we know;
2. Admitting there is more for us to discover and saying “I don’t know” isn’t a failure, or a step to falling under, rather it is about setting ourselves free to grow, and helping others to live, love and learn more;
3. What matters is faith expressing itself in love… What matters is that the light and the freedom found in living a life of faith and wonder is contagious, and we should be impacting each other too;
4. Faith is about discovering more about ourselves, and God, and the purpose of life and life in all its fullness in our interactions with others and the fullest experiences of love.. Faith is about living so that we learn, but it’s also about living so that others thrive and know love;
5. If we’re brave enough to claim it, once faith comes into play and we decide to take our first steps without all the answers, we can claim Dolly’s words:
"Let me shine and radiate
With your love and light, and help me make
Any change I can in this world today
Just show me the way
Have a little faith
(Just show me the way) Have a little faith
(Show me the way) Have a little faith";
6. I think that for me being a Christian isn’t just about me having a faith in God that I will be surprised and discover more, but I think it’s also about God having faith in us, even though we aren’t all we could be, even though we don’t have the answers of do the right thing every time, and even though there’s plenty of room for improvement, God still wants us to be involved in showing love in the world and invites us to surprise him with the way we embrace the mystery and show love… And it goes on to us having faith in each other too, and being willing to be surprised at what might happen when we all try to help each other live our best lives.
Leave a Reply.
Lent 2023 Playlist
If you'd rather listen and come to your own conclusions about the eclectic mix of songs I'm working through in Lent 2023, here's the Spotify Playlist!